Facility Modernization & Maintenance
Facility Modernization Projects
January-March 2020: Ductless System Replacements, Geothermal System Assessments, Library Renovations
HVAC Mitsubishi Ductless System Status: Implementation
This project will replace damaged indoor cassette units in classrooms 37, 39, 41, 43, and one unit adjacent to the classroom corridor. It also replaces a heat pump and a heat exchange box. In addition, ACPS will be replacing all piping associated with the replacement units and will refill the newly installed system with R-410 refrigerant.
- Progress through Q3: Demolition was completed during Q2. The contractor procured all required project materials for construction during Q3.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Commence construction and complete project.
HVAC Geothermal System Status: Implementation
The goal of this project is to evaluate the existing geothermal system to see if it is operating properly. The project includes retro-commissioning aspects to determine flaws and deficiencies in the existing system.
- Progress through Q3: An agent was selected to perform the work.
- Anticipated progress through Q4: Construction, repairs to commence and finish in late Q4. A consultant will provide a comprehensive report of deficiencies and make recommendations. A contractor will be selected to complete repairs listed in the report.
Library Renovation Status: Implementation
This project will take a phased approach, that will include new shelving, a circulation desk, and flooring. New furniture was purchased last summer.
- Progress through Q3: Purchase orders initiated for procurement of flooring, as well as demolition of shelving and the circulation desk.
- Progress through Q4: Demolition of shelving/circulation desk and installation of new luxury vinyl flooring will commence. Recommendation of new shelving choices for ordering and installation will commence in Q4 with the installation to be completed over the summer (2021 Q1).
July-September 2019: Remediation and Renovations
ACPS remediated asbestos and renovated floors using Capitol Improvement Project money set aside for James K. Polk. In addition, system wide funds helped pay for some of the flooring and also resurfacing and other work to the sports fields.
Asbestos Remediation: $7,500.
Total amount spent on modernization projects for James K. Polk Elementary School between July through September 2019: $25,561.
Total additional amount spent out of system wide funds: $18,500.
Sports Field: $6,500
Additional Sports Amenities Donated to James K. Polk Over the Summer of 2019:
A Mini-pitch soccer system was installed at James K. Polk Elementary School. The acrylic finish systems were overlaid on existing asphalt courts with peripheral fencing. Some minor punch list items still need to be done.